The death of a child causes unimaginable pain. The Child Funeral Fund, which was introduced in Northern Ireland in June 2022, provides support to families at the most devastating time in their lives.
About the Child Funeral Fund
From 1 June 2022, bereaved families in Northern Ireland can now receive financial support towards the cost of a child’s funeral through the Child Funeral Fund.
The Child Funeral Fund provides a one-off, lump sum payment of £3,056 towards the costs of a child’s funeral who is under 18 or was stillborn after the 24th week of pregnancy.
The payment can be paid directly to the family, to the funeral director, or split between both.
- Non-means tested
- The child had not reached their 18th birthday at the time of their death
- The child was stillborn after the 24th week of pregnancy
- The claim can be made for a funeral that has taken place on or after 1 June 2022
- The claim must be made within six months of the date of funeral
- You have taken responsibility for the funeral expenses
How can I make an application?
The NI Direct website gives more information on how to apply.